This post is dedicated to tracking the most recent wave of sectarian attacks across Egypt. The format has recently changed due to the sheer volume of data. Currently, everything is in a DATABASE instead of list format. If the database is not opening please contact us. The original format is saved, for those who need it for blog purposes, please contact us.
The blog was started and is managed by Mai El-Sadany, Amir Beshay, and myself, Amira Mikhail. A sincere thanks goes to @Sleipne and Catie Burleson for the database development, and to Mina Fayek for contributing a lot of time to assist in the aggregation of information.
Please note that this is a work-in-progress and is being updated on a regular basis. Information so far is unverified although most is backed up with tweets and photos. We are hoping to continue the efforts to verify details. If you have any corrections or updates to church names, photos, or details, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or my twitter.
A similar project is Into Oblivion by @moftasa and @MaliciaRogue.
To date we have recorded 132 attacks, 8 deaths, and a handful of cases of abuse, injuries, and kidnappings. Below are resources and statistics that may be of use. The list of churches and institutions is listed here.
Deaths and Injuries
- Iskandar Tos, Barber, 60-year-old | Dead | Ahram (Arabic)
- Two Christians killed when Mermaid boat was burned | Minya | Personal contact | Aug 14
- Ramy Zakaria | Alexandria | Dead | Twitter (Arabic)
- Abanoub 14-year-old| Beni Maza, Minya | Injured | Twitter
- Mina Rafat Aziz | Alexandria | Killed | Twitter, Facebook, ElBaladNews (Video), Twitter, Twitter
- Malek Emil Attia, 23-year-old | Tahtah, Sohag | Injured, shot in the head | al-Mogaz
- Maged | Minya | Stabbed thirty times, alive | Personal contact, in process of verifying now
- Six christian farmers were kidnapped for a ransom, security forces ensured their release | Qena | CNN (Arabic)، Masrawy (Arabic) | Aug 17
- Fawzy Moured | Killed | Ezbet al-Nekhl, Cairo, | Anba Ermia (Arabic), Funeral clip
- Relative to the Mayor (and the relatives son in law) | Killed, shot on their way to Deir al-Moharraq, seems to be unrelated to sectarian strife | Saraqna, Qusiya, Assuit | Twitter, Coptic Orphans 1, Coptic Orphans 2 | Aug 20
- Kidnapping of one local, returned after settlement probably involving a ransom, also seems unrelated to sectarian strife | Saraqna, Qusiya, Assuit | Personal contact | Aug 19
Reactions and Statements
- Muslim Brotherhood in Helwan: (Summary) Based off of the actions of Pope Tawadros and Christians in Egypt, they deserve these attacks on churches and their institutions. “For every action, a reaction.” FJP Helwan Facebook (Arabic), MBInEnglish
- Gehad al-Haddad: “We condemn all attacks on houses of worships and condemn police treachery in leaving thugs to vandalize while focusing on killing protesters.” (Twitter)
- Mohamed Saad al-Azhary (former member of the constituent assembly 2012): (Translation) “I strongly condemn the burning of churches for two reasons. 1) Whoever does this ruins the image of the protesters. 2) Who in their right mind would burn waste?” Facebook (Arabic) | (Link has been removed)
- Brotherhood declare Friday prayers in the evangelical church in Minya after converted to a mosque | El Fagr (Arabic) | Aug 15
- Statement by His Grace Bishop Angaelos | The Coptic Orthodox Church UK | Coptic Center | Aug 8
- Father Makarios, priest in Minya | “We called and the police did not come.” | Christian-Dogma (Video) |Aug 14
- Press Release | Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate Archdiocese of North America | NA Copts | Aug 15
- EIPR Report on Wave of Attacks on Copts and Churches in Egypt | EIPR (Arabic)
- Press Release | Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate Archdiocese of North America | NA Copts | Aug 23
Reporting and Media
- Egyptian Protesters Turn Fury on Coptic Christians | ABC News | Aug 15
- ‘Horrible': Christian churches across Egypt stormed, torched | CNN | Aug 16
- USCIRF Condemns Violence in Egypt | USCIRF | Aug 16
- Witness Accounts of Sectarian Attacks Across Egypt | The New York Times, The Lede | Aug 16
- Perdita | Twitter
- Hate Wasabi | Gallery
- Rafic Greiche | Facebook
- Watani Weekly Newspaper